The Koforidua Technical University (KTU) is dealing with hostel lodging crises, a scenario worsened by a rise in college students inhabitants owing to the Free Senior High School Policy.

The University at the moment has a student inhabitants of 8,924 made up of 1,515 BTech students, 6,457 HND students, and 952 Non-HND, skilled and technical students. Of this whole, 5,354 Students representing 60% are males and the remaining 3,572 students representing 40 % are females.

Nevertheless, capability of the university’s hostel is simply in a position to accommodate lower than 10 % of the student inhabitants compelling majority to reside in not too convenient private hostels.

The Vice-Chancellor of KTU Prof. David Kofi Essumang decried the scenario in the course of the seventeenth congregation of the university on Saturday noting “it’s regrettable that for a few years, KTU has been battling with insufficient infrastructure. This has turn out to be a preferred cry by the Vice-Chancellors at every Matriculation and Congregation ceremony of the University. It’s unacceptable for a University with such a terrific imaginative and prescient and mandate to have insufficient infrastructure. Residential lodging for staff members and college students stays the best problem dealing with the University. Distinguished Invited Guests, we’re making a really fervent appeal to you to help us to handle this downside”.

He added “the increasing student population has been an issue of concern to Management. Out of about 9,000 students, less than 10% could be accommodated on campus on the solely GETFund Hostel. Greater than 80% of the students reside in personal rented amenities inside the quick community that are near campus. Sanitation amenities in a few of these private houses are poor. We’re very unhappy that a few of our students may very well be uncovered to well being hazards as they stay beneath poor sanitary circumstances. We call on the state and groups to construct another hostel for the University”.

Management of the University is nevertheless working in direction of the completion of a multi-purpose constructing complicated comprising lecture rooms, offices for lecturers, and an auditorium.  Additionally large lecture rooms are being constructed to extend capacity to accommodate the rising variety of students in every lecture corridor.

The Vice-Chancellor mentioned to satisfy the well being wants of students and staff of the University, the sickbay on campus has been upgraded to a clinic with the employment of seven new medical staff together with a Physician Assistant.

In the meantime, a hospital facility is being put as much as serve the University neighborhood and the general public.

The Vice Chancellor Prof.David Kofi Essumang introduced that the University has secured approval to run four-year Bachelor of Technology programmes in Mechatronics Engineering, Civil Engineering with options in – Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Material Engineering, Water Resource Engineering and Welding & Fabrication Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering with options in Power Systems Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, Computer Engineering, Control and Instrumentation, Automotive Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Medical Laboratory Science, Food Technology, Computer Science with options in – Computer Network Management, Artificial Intelligence & Robotics.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here